Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Macerated Red Onions



I found this recipe in one of my favourite cookbooks- Nigella Lawson's Forever Summer. We eat a lot of onions, both raw and cooked, so I was immediately drawn to this half-pickled, half-macerated alternative. I now keep a jar of these with the other condiments in our refrigerator.


When you macerate the onions in the oil-vinegar mix, they turn a vivid translucent cerise
and lose their sulfury-acrid bite. I've changed the oil and vinegar quantities a bit because I like a stronger acid kick, but the result is the same.

These are perfect in sandwiches and spooned over anything grilled. Add them with their liquid
to salads, perhaps with a splash of fresh lemon juice, and you'll have the only dressing you need.



Macerated Red Onions

1 medium red onion, halved widthwise and sliced as thin as possible
3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup good quality red wine vinegar

Mix all ingredients in a shallow nonreactive (glass or ceramic) bowl and allow to sit for at least two hours before using. Onions can be kept covered, in an airtight container, in the refrigerator.

No comments: